School districts and other education K-12 organizations need senior leaders with a deep understanding of education policies and education system improvement. With its location in D.C., AU is well-positioned to help students learn how senior leaders can use federal and state policies, educational research, and organizational leadership to make an impact in the field. In alignment with the School of Education’s vision of preparing the next generation of highly effective education leaders, the EdD in Education Policy and Leadership program will complete the School’s spectrum of programming for education professionals.
40 Credit Hours
Graduates of the EdD program will be equipped with the skills every education leader needs to be effective, including strategic budgeting, collaborative inquiry, talent management, partnership building, learning science, and program evaluation. After completing their coursework and their Problem of Practice (PoP) dissertation, students will have the policy, leadership, and research skills necessary to serve in senior positions in school district central offices, independent schools, nonprofit organizations, government agencies, advocacy organizations, and more.
Fall 2019 Deadlines
- Priority Application Deadline
- June 28, 2019
- Application Complete Deadline
- July 19, 2019
- Class Start
- August 26, 2019
Information Webinar Sessions
Join our admissions team for a chance to learn more about our EdD in Education Policy and Leadership program. Ask any questions you might have around the application process or program requirements, meet a faculty member from the program and more.
To complete the online Doctorate in Education program, students must earn 40 credits, which includes two (2) required D.C. residencies, encapsulated in the EDU-798 course.
Sample Course Schedule
- EDU-702 Collaborative Inquiry through Systems Thinking
- EDU-610 Overview of Qualitative & Quantitative Research Strategies *
- EDU-798 Residency (1 of 2)
- EDU-703 Designing the Problem of Practice
- EDU-631 Educational Leadership & Organizational Change
- EDU-634 Education and Public Policy
- EDU-704 Diversity, Inclusion and Equity
- EDU-790 Quantitative Research in Education
- EDU-707 Leadership and Learning Sciences
- EDU-798 Residency (2 of 2)
- EDU-705 Strategic Resource Management
- EDU-737 Partnerships
- EDU-710 Primary Data Collection and Analysis Research Design
- Electives (3 credits)
- EDU-898 Doctoral Research
- EDU-897 Dissertation Practices
- EDU-899 Dissertation Defense
Who should choose this degree?
Students will be trained to be savvy users/consumers of research who solve problems of practice and work to continually improve upon them. Students are comprised of leaders who want to dive deeper into root cause analysis and system thinking.