Statement of Purpose
Education Policy and Leadership: Your Statement of Purpose is a very important part of your application. It should be a well-written and carefully crafted paper of approximately 1,000 words in length. You should describe in detail your personal and career goals; relevant employment experience; reason for wanting to study at American University in the Education Policy and Leadership program; and ability and commitment to undertake graduate education at this time. Be sure to include your name on every page of your Statement of Purpose.
Master of Arts in Teaching: Your statement of purpose should be approximately 500-1,000 words. Your statement of purpose can be uploaded on the Supplemental Items listing page. When preparing the statement of purpose, candidates should address the following:
- Describe how your previous professional, educational, and personal experience inform your decision to apply to this program
- Describe what you think you will gain from your participation in this program and your goals after completion
- Identify any specific elements of the program that attract you
All applications require transcripts from degree-seeking college institutions. AU standards ask for a minimum 3.0 GPA for undergraduate work. A transcript uploaded by a student is considered "unofficial." Departments use these during their review period.
Official transcripts are required only after the applicant has accepted admission to American University. Official transcripts must be sent and received by a university representative and should confirm the earned degree when applicable.
International transcripts will need to be evaluated and show equivalency of the U.S. four-year degree. Please include a WES evaluation with your transcript.
Your unofficial transcripts can be uploaded on the Supplemental Items Listing page.
Two Letters of Recommendation
Recommenders will evaluate a candidate based on academic performance, motivation for program of study, intellectual capacity and/or research and writing ability.
The résumé should list a candidate's relevant work experience, internships, research, awards, and/or publications, as well as educational history. A curriculum vitae (CV) is also accepted. Your résumé can be uploaded on the Supplemental Items Listing page.
Praxis CORE Scores
Passing scores by DC standards on Praxis Core exam: Reading 156, Writing 162, Math 150. Praxis Core scores are only required for the online Master of Arts in Teaching program. For additional information on the Praxis, such as how to sign up and study resources, click here.
Additional requirements: EdD in Education Policy and Leadership
Prior teaching experience is not required, but is strongly recommended. The Admissions Committee carefully reviews each applicant's personal and professional experience to assess readiness for graduate study at American University. In order to ensure your success, candidates must provide the following to be considered for the program:
- A Master’s degree; if no Master’s degree, candidates will need to complete 24 graduate level credits prior to enrollment in the EdD
- An academic writing sample (e.g., a published or unpublished paper) that demonstrates clear, logical, conceptual, and analytical thinking, as well as the proper use of citations and references.
- TOEFL (non-native English speakers)
- International Students: International applicants are eligible to apply, provided they have successfully completed the equivalent of a US Master’s degree, have the appropriate diplomas and/or satisfactory results on transcripts and meet additional ELP requirements.
EdD applicants may be invited to attend an interview with EdD program faculty as part of the application process.